Trail Report: Eagle River
Reported By: Holly Tomlanovich
Date of Report: 12/30/2014
Trail Conditions: Good
Snow Cover: 6-12 on average
Snowmobile Trails are open & in
Good Early Riding Condition
Trails remain in Early Riding Condition. Driver Dan & Dale were out grooming last night & trails are smooth & set up well with the temps that dropped to 9 below plus last night! They left the Groomer Barn shortly after 7pm after inspecting the equipment. Fueled up & began grooming the trails at 8 pm & returning early this morning. There are slushy areas & spots where there is water running over the trail. But less than the night before so conditions are beginning to improve. Drivers were able to get through all of these areas without the large groomers getting stuck. Even though the groomers look like they can go through most anything, they can’t.
Here is what Trail Boss Tom suggests. Slow down & pay attention to the trails as you ride. If you come to an area that looks slushy or wet. Stop, assess what you see. If you do not feel comfortable turn around & head back in the direction from which you came. If you choose to move ahead walk the area first to determine the conditions & determine if you are skilled enough & feel safe enough to proceed. Again, if you don’t feel comfortable turn around. That is the best choice.
The COLD has arrived. It was 4 below zero for a low last night! The National Weather Service predicts these temps:
- Tuesday – High 2 Low -15 below
- Wednesday – High 8 Low 1
- Thursday – High 15 Low 1
- Friday – High 17 Low 4
If you are going to go out today here are a few tips:
- Dress for the cold – layers is best
- Do not ride alone
- Make sure that the ALL of the group you are riding with is with you. Good system is that each rider is responsible for the rider directly behind them. That way no one is left behind.
- Make sure your fuel tank is full
- Stop frequently to warm up – drink warm drinks
- Tell someone where you are headed
- Stay on the marked trails
- Watch for the brown 3 digit numbers on the trails. If you get into trouble you can call 911 & give them the number & they will be able to find you quickly.
Early Riding Conditions means conditions change really quickly as you ride so be aware. There may be snow ruts on Forestry Roads & trails we share with the hunters during hunting season. Icy conditions not only in the corners but even on the straight away. There has been icy heavy snow fall which knocks down trees & branches. Slush spots & water. Remember to stay on the trail surface & not venture off the trail. Last many lake trails are Not Open. The businesses on these 2 lakes mark the lake trails. Contact Braywood, 12 Pines & Lumpy’s to see when Catfish will be marked. Contact Eagle Waters Resort & Chanticleer Inn to see when Eagle will be marked. Not Safe! Keep THINKING COLD.
While ONEIDA COUNTY TRAILS ARE OPEN. They too are experiencing slush & water here are a few areas that are not open. For more information call the clubs in the area you wish to ride.
- Minocqua Forest Riders Trail 5 in between trail 10 & trail 5A.
- Minocqua Forest Riders Trail 10 in between trail 9 & trail 10A.
- Three Lakes Trail 13 in between trail 217 & Alternate 13 trail.
- Willow Region Trail 5 in between trail 5b to the Lincoln County Line
Trail Boss Tom is going to keep the section of Trail 3 closed between the intersection of 17N & intersection of 10W/13N. For those of you familiar with Sno-Eagles Trails it is also called the Manske Swamp. You still can take 3 from 10W/13N to Conover. Also at 17N you can head east(right). Just the short section in between.
Alternate Trail 13S that heads down the grade south toward Three Lakes has slush & someone with a pick up truck drove down it & got stuck. There are large areas of slush & water. If you do not feel comfortable with the idea of driving through slush DO NOT GO DOWN that way. We will keep you posted as it improves with the cold.
Hang in there the COLD is here!
KEEP DOIN’ THE SNOW DANCE & THINK COLD!
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!
PROUD GROOMERS OF THE SNOWMOBILE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD
Recorded Trail Update 715.479.5185
News & Events: January 17, 2014 – ALL WELCOME TO RIDE!!
2nd Annual Reunion of the 1968 Torchlight Parade
Have a Vintage Sled? We would love to have you ride!
Staging 5:30pm – Leaving at 6pm
Trackside Parkng Area across from the Derby Track
- Trail 13S to Eagle River
- Stop at the Ice Castle in town
- Continue on Trail 13S to the intersection of Trail 10E
- East on Trail 10E to the ERRA Sports Arena
- Attend the Falcons – Mosinee Hockey Game OR
- Head back to Eagle River Or
- To dinner at one of many spots on the trail
Contact hollyt at 715.617.4708