Trail Report: Eagle River
Reported By: hollyt
Date of Report: 01/25/2015
Trail Conditions: Fair
Snow Cover: Base intact in most areas & snow covered
Snowmobile Trails are open
Trail grooming continues with the rental New Holland that the drivers have named Big Blue. Last night Dan & Brock aka Beau went out together so they can switch off driving. The also have a pole saw with them to trim branches & trees as they groom.
The first grooming with the New Holland started Friday at 5:30pm & finished mid afternoon on Saturday. Here is what was groomed during the Friday into Saturday mid day:
- Trail 10E to Nobbe’s North both trails – east out & west in
- Alternate Trail 13 to connection with the Three Lake trails
- Trail 13 through town was groomed at least 5 times back & forth all the way out
- Trail 10W to the approaches of the Wisconsin River Bridge but not over the Bridge. That will be done with one of the tracked groomers is back in service as it is frozen hard.
- The multiple trails heading up to Bauer’s Dam. Trail Boss Tom has our 100 system divided into 3 routes. This is one of the routes & the longest route – 10 hours out & back
- Trail 17N to the Hiawatha Inn & Lodge/Sweetwaters area
Last night the New Holland went out at around 7pm & is still out on the trails. The scheduled grooming is:
- All of Trail 10 East & West – to the Vilas County line where we meet Three Lakes & west to were we meet Conover/Sayner area & back.
- All of Trail 13 North & South – This section will be multiple groomed as the drivers come back onto to get to other trails
- Trail 70W out where we connect with St. Germain & back to town.
- There are also some other connector trails that will be groomed as well.
Ride yesterday, Trail Boss Tom & I rode out on Trail 10E at 8:30am & it was smooth all the way to where it connects to Trail 13 in Eagle River by the Dairy Queen. Took 13N & it was smooth. After a day of riding & returning around 9:30-10pm Trail 10E was very bumpy. Reason? Mid 30’s temperatures & high sled traffic everywhere. With the warm temps trail get squirrelly & the snow fatiques.
Happy to report that by 8:30pm last night temps were down to 17. That should help set up the grooming & maybe hold it longer. Sunday is a lower traffic day so that will help with the set up too.
Here are the upcoming forecast temperatures from the National Weather Service;
- Sunday High 17 Low 7
- Monday High 24 Low 16 60% chance of a couple of inches of Snow
- Tuesday High 25 Low 13
Eagle Lake Trail & Catfish Lake Loop are marked & OPEN. Stay by the barrels. Remember not all lakes are trails.
Alternate Trail 13S has a water spot on the east side as you ride south. It is passable by going over to the right (west). The water area is marked with an orange reflective barrel. The Wisconsin River Bridge, Trail 10W is now frozen tight. Grooming of the approaches & the bridge will be groomed when the Prinoth or BR-180 are in service. That area needs a lighter PSI foot print.
Thanks everybody for the words of encouragement & offers of help. As a Club we are raising funds for at least one groomer & and we are 1/2 way to the $50,000 that we need to move forward to the purchase of a groomer which run $150,000 to $200,000. So please plug a jug or send a donation.
KEEP DOIN’ THE SNOW DANCE!
Riding again today so….See ya on the trails!
PROUD GROOMERS OF THE SNOWMOBILE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD
Recorded Trail Update 715.479.5185
News & Events: To donate to Sno-Eagles New Groomer Fund you can:
- Go to http://www.sno-eagles.org & press the donate button
- Send a donation to Sno-Eagles, PO Box 866, Eagle River, WI 54521
- Plug a Jug or buy a Trail Map