Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    stewart2020

broken clutch retaining bolt

i am trying to chang my clutch and realized my clutch bolt was snapped of flush with the crank i haven't pulled the clutch off yet but i was wandering what the best way to get that bolt out. just bought sled last season and rode it for 2 months like that.

Sounds like a sticky situation at best. If the facts are correct, first, without the clutch off how can you tell that the bolt is broken flush with the end of the crank? Providing you get the clutch off, and I remind you, this is only an opinion that may or may not work, if you have the skills and a mig welder, or access to, I would weld a nut on the end of the broken bolt ( just like filling a nut with weld, using the broken bolt as a bottom for the puddle) and unscrew it with a wrench. If you choose this route, be sure to place the ground clamp right on the shaft as close to the work as possible without interfering with the task. Ground anyplace else and the motor is junk, electricity will pass through bearings rings etc. Another thing is not to get any weld on the crank itself and don't get it too hot, remember you do have rubber seals in there. If i'm not mistaken, the outer seal can be replaced without tearing the motor down. Have help and a fire ext handy. Good luck and sorry to say "sucks to be you" right now

I'm sure some of the other wrenches on the site will get in on this after they read what I would do

Yikes, you don't want to heat up the end of that crank. An easy out may be your best solution, drill easy, but it will take a little punishment from the center of the shaft, if you are careful. Make sure you make room and drill perfectly into the center.

I do not envy your situation.

well this is a method that a friend of mine uses and swears by. you might be able to sticka little bit of jb weld on the end of the clutch bolt that will come out. then if you are careful you can stick it to the portion in the clutch. let it sit for a feww minutes and then it should be stuck together and you can unscrew it.

also what you might be able to do is take the sled to a machine shop i am sure they will be able to drill it with a left handed drill bit and it will come right out.

I agree, go to a hardware store and buy an easy out ($5.00). You will need to drill a hole through the remaining portion of the bolt (the easy out package will indicate what size drill bit to use), then tap your easy out into the hole you just drilled. After inserted, take a wrench to the easy out and turn slowly. Your snapped off bolt will (or should) come right our as if it still had the head on it. I just did the same thing for the first time last night to a broken bolt on my handlebar riser. Works perfectly. Good luck.

I had the same thing happen on an old xlt. The clutch bolt should not bottomed out in the crank. remove clutch with proper clutch puller, and the broken piece should unscrew by hand. I don't know what make or model you are working on, if it is a polaris there may be O-rings and a spacer that need to be removed before you can use the clutch puller. good luck.

think SNOW!!!!

I knew that would get things going. I do agree that the bolt should not be bottomed out and it should unscrew fairly easy, but, not sure how long it's been that way- if the motor winding up and down may have it in there pretty good. The easy out is worth a try but doubtful if it works. The left hand drill bit sounds good though. My thoughts on the weld bit are, only if you know what you are doing. I would feel comfortable doing it, but I also have 18 yrs of experience in a fab shop I should have added that "only if you know what you are doing" to last nites reply--sorry

stewart2020
    it is a 95 polaris rxl i will try jbweld first i need to get a clutch puller, ineed to hurry up wher suppose to get over a foot of snow tommorrow and friday thanx for the tips

Talking

are you sure it is snaped off flush with the crank??? sounds like you just snaped off the head. once you get the clutch pulled off grab a pair of vise grips. if that doesnt work grab some lube and sprayer in arround the threads let set and go after again. If that no work i would lube it up again and head to hard ware store for the EZ out or lefty drillbits. if that dun work grab the tourches

Talking

I had one snap off flush more than once on different sleds. I pulled the engine and braced it so it was standing with the crank snout pointing up. Wrapped the snout of the crank with rags soaked in cold water. Then I mig welded a nut onto the end of the bolt. It came right out and didn't get the crank too hot.