Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Has anyone experienced a lean condition when installing these jets? Have a customer that followed this thread and burnt down. Thanks

Has anyone tried a swap with a 550 in this chassis? Thanks

so far so good, but I cross my fingers every time my son mounts up and goes for a ride...

Reply to RUNNER

Start with the 286 Q-0 needle jets, and the secondary clutch spring in the hole that applies the most pre-load.
    Use the stock main jets as your baseline (330 mag side 340 pto side corrected for elevation and temperature) and stock pilot jets (45's)
    Jet needles clips in the center position.
    I must admit - prior to installing the needle jets mentioned above, I installed Mikuni power jets, they did NOT correct the issue. I didn't receive info on the needle jet part number until a couple days later.
    I still have the sled, it still runs and my son occasionally rides it. It has very little low end torque, maybe further tuning could correct this. Once it hits the power band...hold on!

Does anyone happen to have the service bulletin or the number for it? My sled needs this update badly.

I don't think any of this falls under the update class - I think it surfaced in the PII service database as a "snow team tip"??
    Something like that. I did all the work myself - start with the baseline carburation except the needle jet Polaris part number 3131376. Wind the driven clutch spring to the third hole.
    Start with the jet needle clips in the middle, adjust the mains from there.

FYI - I used a pair of these carbs on my 1980 340 TX. Couldn't find a sniff of info on the 286 series needle jets, however they appear to be the same as a 159 so that's what I used.

Some of the XCF Edge machines used a roller P85, it will shift way too easy when engine HP is low, ie: when starting off slowly. I chased that POS problem for a long while on my 800 LE. When I put in a button clutch the bog problem went away. Just imagine a 800 bogging, what would that mean to a 440 leaf blower.

I do have to ask, what is needle jet letter number for the replacement for the 286 Q-2?

I want my XCF to run properly, but don't want to loose low end with these changes. Any ideas on what I can do? crush4size, I sent you a PM.

[quote]Couldn't find a sniff of info on the 286 series needle jets, however they appear to be the same as a 159[\quote]

The 159 series and 286 series measurements are almost identical with the exception of the inner tube that the main jet feeds into(Not the Q0 portion of the Jet). The 159 measures .090" ID were as the 286 measures .140" ID. This will lean out your carbs when the throttle is closed. Be careful substituting 159 for the almost non existing 286 series. It might be ok in a 340.

My last attempt was to try some 6DP17 needles along with the 286 Q-0 needle jets. Needles where cheep enough from Niche Cycle Supply. We didn't have much snow this year to test fully but It allowed me to bring the pilots back up so my daughter can start it. (It wouldn't idle for her with #20). The 6DP17 is a slightly fatter needle. Taper starts later but is steeper. It seemed all good around the house. I thought I had it licked. I could pin it and it would go. Faltered slightly due to it's slightly lean at 1/4 throttle. Went for a trail ride and temps were in high 30s and it was fat all the way from idle to full throttle. Had no real life but kept going. Had to drop the needle all the way down. As temps dropped to freezing the life came back. But it just doesn't have the same all out performance. Wish I play with the mains some more before the end of the season to see if I'm on the right track.