Thread: airbox mod

Question airbox mod

I have an 05 700xcsp is there any body that has any experiance with gutting the airbox or is it better off left stock? I am putting a boost bottle on it next week so I will have the airbox out any recomendations? Thanks Tony

If you put on the SLP box, it's pretty simple. The instructions are quite clear, and the tech support is tremendous. Call them and tell them where you plan to run, what sled, and they'll hook you up properly.

Gut it. Then your going to want to go up one jet size at least. Slp makes an air horn that makes a bigger intake from the hood to the box. But for the money just gut the friggen thing. its better than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by m_scott View Post
    Gut it. Then your going to want to go up one jet size at least. Slp makes an air horn that makes a bigger intake from the hood to the box. But for the money just gut the friggen thing. its better than stock.
    Ditto what he said, up the jet and cut some breather holes in it and go get a cheap Shop vac filter, cut it up and glue over the holes...easy couple of ponies on every carbed sled

you realy dont need to put any more holes in the top of the air box. But if you want to make a bigger air intake in the top of the box i would just get some isulation tape. (the black stuff that has one side tape) cut a hole in the box and then align as best you can and cut into the hood. if you want to go urther get piece of pvc pipe or even cheaper a 2liter pop bottle and sillicone arround it attaching it to the air box. Let it hang inside the air box at east an inch and them make sure it comes close if not touching the hood and then arround the piece of pvc or pop bottle put that black foam stuff. I got a great picture of it in my head and i think it would work. if i could draw it i would. pluss its alot of guess and cut work. Personaly i wouldnt cut any holes jus take the innerts out of the box.

Talking

seems like polaris made the air box to remove the innerds I opened it up and there was one shelf with two little bitty air horns in it took all of about 5 seconds to remove. also talked to the people at slp and they said I really did not need to go up a size with the jets seeing they come from the factory fat. I'm hoping that the boost bottle and gutting the airbox will give me a couple more mpg

Correct- made to be disasembled, and easy. True about them being fat from factory. if its a new motor at least dump some extra oil in the gas tank the first 3 tanks. and check your plugs every once in a while. you wont knotice much in mpg but you will knotice a big diffrence in responce time. no more bottom end bogg.
    I have talked to some pple about the boost bottles and from what i gatherd from them: if your going to do a couple small bolt ons *gut airbox, reeds, clutch, gears* the boost bottle will help a lil. But once you start in on heads pistons pipes cans engine moddifications they are just money down the drain. so in my head add on parts that 5hp or less boos bottle may be worth it. but more than that its a waist of time.