Trail Conditions: Fair
Snow Cover: Variable
Date of Report: January 11, 2018
It’s snowing! Most of the county is currently receiving some much needed snowfall. Let’s hope we get the 6 inches they were forecasting. Detailed reports from snowmobile club trail reporters are posted below. Stay safe and stay on the trails!
Namakagon Trail Groomers: As of this afternoon all of Namakagon Trails are newly groomed. Trails are in fair to good condition. The warm weather has them soft so please help our grooming operations by riding easy as to help keep them as flat as possible with the anticipated snow and colder temperatures.
Please be aware of the trail 70 road route which starts at Randysek Rd. Follow the route signs. As of now there’s only one way in and out of Cable from the South, which is Randysek Rd North to Spruce St., West two blocks to the alley by the lumber yard then South one block. Sledders Will need to back track to head South again! Grooming should resume before the weekend! Ride responsibly and enjoy!
Drummond Snojacks: Trail conditions remain in fair condition with some areas of bare ground. If predicted snowfall amounts occur the groomer will be out on all trails. It is snowing as of 8:00 am Thursday 1/11/18. Those crossing lakes are cautioned to stay on stick trails due to high drifts.
Barnes Barnestormers: Trails are in fair condition, other than 31S of Mulligan Creek, and 31S north of Seeley Fire Lane which has beaver dam washout. Ride with caution, grooming will proceed if we receive additional snow.
Bayfield County Snowmobile Alliance – Iron River Area: Expect a deteriorated base and icy conditions in Iron River area due to warm conditions and at present time [7:00 AM] Thursday morning we are experiencing freezing rain. If temperatures drop and expected snowfall arrives condition will greatly improve and grooming will resume. Use caution between Iron River and Port Wing due to logging operations.
Washburn Valhallers: On 1/9, we groomed from Washburn to Valhalla and back. As of yesterday, trail was still hard and flat with only a few minimal bare spots closer to Washburn; the entire trail is still very ridable and in good shape. The warm weather today 1/10/18, didn’t help, but with light traffic, trail is still good. This snow will help. Trail 13 South from Washburn to Tri-County Corridor remains relatively decent but there are certainly bare spots in the fields. With 4-6″ of fresh snow and the cold coming, we plan to re-groom both 13N from Washburn to Valhalla and 13S from Washburn to Tri-County Corridor Friday to have things ready for the weekend.
South shore Trail Club – Port Wing, Herbster & Cornucopia: Groomed trails 1, 40 & 41 Wednesday 1/10/18. Good by the lake better away!
WAINO Riders- Northwest corner of the County: Good conditions north of Brule until you get closer to the lake where things get scratchy.
- – Trail 1 near Port Wing: This is now open but use caution as ruts have frozen into the ground.
- – Trail 63 in the Cable Area: Trail 63 just south of the intersection with Trail 70 south of the town of Cable is closed until further notice.
- – Trail 13 outside Washburn, follow signs. Permanent reroute.
- – Trail 4 east of Mason, follow signs. Seasonal reroute for now, includes road routes.
- – Trail 70 south of Cable, follow signs. Seasonal reroute for now, includes road routes.
- – Trail 40 Southeast of Port Wing is currently being frozen down in preparation for a logging operation.
- – Trail 1 between Cornucopia and Bayfield near Henkens Road has an active logging operation. They are logging off the trail and using the trail as a haul route so use caution.
- – Trail 51 south of Cornucopia near Jodi road is being frozen down in preparation for a logging operation.