Trail Conditions: Good
Snow Cover: 6-8 inch base
Date of Report: March 8, 2018
The latest winter storm dropped significant snow on the southern part of the County but not very much in the northern part, however there’s still lots of snow in the northern part of the county. Overall our trails remain in good condition with some icy corners. For those riding forest roads on National Forest Service land, please use caution and stay alert! Especially in areas where you see activity i.e. plowed roads. We can’t monitor all the forest roads throughout the county so unsafe conditions may exist. We’ve had reports of large plowed snowbanks on the roads which can be hard to see, so slow down and stay safe. Detailed reports from the local snowmobile clubs are posted below. Stay safe and stay on the trails!
Namakagon Trail Groomers: Namakagon Trails are in Good to Very Good condition thanks to the 4-6 in. new snow fall! Grooming operations were done last night and early this morning! NTG trails are as good a condition as we’ve had all year! With lighter traffic and a great base they are holding up well. PLEASE RIDE SAFE!! Have FUN!!
Drummond SnoJacks: The Town of Drummond received 6″ of snow to make for excellent conditions on trail # 63 south to Lake Owen and Trail # 6. Trial # 63 north to Grand View and Mason did not get any significant snow but remains covered. These trails should hold up to traffic through the weekend but road routes may not. Groomers will be out working at night.
Bayfield County Snowmobile Alliance – Iron River Area: Iron River area is hard,flat,and icy. No new snow in this area.
Barnes Barnestormers: Town of Barnes, we received 7 inches of snow. The town trails 7 and 17 were groomed last night, trail 17 Moore Road done today (3/7), and are in excellent condition. We hope to have 31 North and South done by the weekend.
Washburn Valhallers: Washburn received no new snow and trials are hard, icy and reasonably covered. We have not groomed this week but will groom Trail #13 South from Washburn on Thursday (3/8) and Trail #13 North from Washburn on Friday, 3/9. Without any new snow in the forecast, that will be our last scheduled grooming until we get more snow.
The Valhalla area has plenty of snow yet. Grooming is on hold for now. Trails are holding up well and still have a good amount of snow on them. There are a few icy corners.
South shore Trail Club – Port Wing, Herbster & Cornucopia: No new snow in the north, groomed Trails 1, 40 and 41. Trails are very good!
WAINO Riders- Northwest corner of the County: We groomed Trail 1 to highway 13 last night and outside of a few bare spots on corners the groomer said the trail was in very good condition.
- Trail 1 near Port Wing: This is now open but use caution as ruts have frozen into the ground.
- Trail 63 in the Cable Area: Trail 63 just south of the intersection with Trail 70 south of the town of Cable is closed until further notice.
- Trail 31, South of the intersection with Trail 1 near the City of Bayfield is not signed and not being groomed. There is currently no trail access to the City of Bayfield, but there is access to Legendary Waters Casino.
- Trail 13 outside Washburn, follow signs. Permanent reroute.
- Trail 4 east of Mason, follow signs. Seasonal reroute for now, includes road routes.
- Trail 70 south of Cable, follow signs. Seasonal reroute for now, includes road routes.
- Trail 40 Southeast of Port Wing has a timber sale going active this week so keep your eyes out and stay alert in that area.
- Trail 51 south of Cornucopia near Jodi road is now being used for an active timber sale. They are logging off the trail and using the trail as a haul route so use caution. Jodi road is also being plowed for a short distance.