Trail Conditions: Excellent
Snow Cover: 3 inch hard ice base or more - Covered with SNOW
Date of Report: February 15, 2021
February 15 – 7:32am Currently 22 below – High of 3 today
Low tonight of 22 below
Trails remain in GOOD to EXCELLENT Condition
GTS Trails app shows groomers out in the last 24 hours
Groomers in Eagle River were out again Trails groomed:
- 10/13N from groomer barn north all the way across Wisconsin River Bridge.
- 10W/7 to Sayner/St. Germain trails connection
- Alt 13S to Three Lakes trails connection
Trails saw heavy traffic with lots of riders upnorth for President’s Weekend. Very little change in trail conditions due to the very cold weather. There is a very hard base of 3+ inches with loose SNOW on top. No new SNOW. With the hard base there are some icy sharp corners so again slow down. Trails that have a heavy pine tree covering have thinner SNOW & some pale snirt. The SNOW does get down through the big pines as well. With nightly grooming trails are in good shape.
If you do riding it’s another cold morning so here are some cold weather riding tips:
- Extra layers of clothing
- Gloves/mittens with long lasting hand warmers or try a pair of battery heated gloves. Gauntlets over handle bars good too
- Cold weather boots with layered socks. Boot warmers are good too
- Fully charged phone stored in the inside pocket of your jacket
- Heated shields are great other wise remember to breath through your nose to prevent fogging
- Stop more frequently & drink water. Cold can cause dehydration
- Tell someone where you are riding & download the MapItVilasCo app. It gps’s your location & the location of the TIN(trail identification numbers)
Please stay on the trails to keep the trails open.
Catfish & Eagle Lake trails are marked with orange reflective barrels. Please stay by the barrels to be safe. Both are bumpy so might want to slow down. The lakes are marked by the businesses on the lake so stop in & thank them when you’re out riding.
TIME TO RIDE IF YOU ARE HARDY!
News and Reports:
UPDATE – Sno-Eagles Wednesday & Thursday rides start this week!!
Start at the Historic Railroad Depot on Trail 10/13N
Be sure to contact Club President, Howard Wolf at 262.442.4876 for more information on the rides
- February 18 – General membership meeting via Sno-Eagles Facebook live.
- February 20-21 – USSA World Series of Snowmobiling Race – WCDC Track – Hwy 45N – Volunteers needed
- February 26-27 – UTV Arctic Derby Dash – Volunteers needed
- February 27 – Groom to Ride raffle drawing – 1pm – Trackside – Hwy 45N
To volunteer or for more information on Sno-Eagles activities
contact Howard Wolf at 262.442.4876
Wisconsin Snowmobile Registration
Discount Trail Pass for Snowmobile Club Members – $10 – Time to join a club!
Standard Wisconsin Trail Pass – $30
Out of State Trail Pass – $50
Newly Updated Vilas County Map It Trail App GPS style app of all trails in Vilas Cty. Plus includes the brown 3 digit emergency numbering system. If an emergency happens call 911 & give them that number. Find you quicker.
Newly Updated Groomer Tracking Systems (GTS) Gives you trails groomed in last 24, 48 & 96 hours
AWSC – Association of Wisconsin Snowmobile Clubs
DNR Snowmobiling Helpful Information