Trail Conditions: Fair
Snow Cover: 2-10 inches snow & base total
Date of Report: February 4, 2021
February 4 – 7:30am Currently 27 – High of 28 today – Low tonight 3
Trails on average Fair Condition
GTS Trails app shows groomers out in the last 24 hours
Nightly grooming continues. Going to list them this morning.
- The “grade” Trail 10/13 through town
- 10/13N to include section that cross over the Wisconsin River snowmobile bridge
- 10W/7 that heads west from Wisconsin River snowmobile bridge & connects to Sayner trails & west Conover trails
- 17N to 1N that takes you the Eagle Lake boat launch
- Alt13/3S to Three Lakes turn around
Trails really could use more SNOW. As of 7:08 this morning it has started to SNOW with a thin covering at this point. With the temps at 27 it will take some time for it to stick. Forecast is still for 5-8 inches. Thinking the 4-5 of actual SNOW on the ground is a better bet. SNOW followed by very cold temps. Starting tomorrow through next week highs will be single digits or even below zero highs for the day. Below zero every night for the next week. Winters back. Just in case KEEP DANCIN’
Right now conditions run on average Fair with some Good & Poor especially at road crossings. The one-way parts of 10E are pretty snirty even dirt. Groomer were out prepping for the SNOW. Getting the base flattened. Same conditions on 17N. 70W of town will really improve with new SNOW it is snirty & gritty, especially up on the hill across from the Wisconsin River. Alt13S to Three Lakes, 10W/7 are in pretty good shape, some burn through in the real open areas. All in all new SNOW followed by frigid temps will bring the trails back into shape.
Been writing this all season but off trail riding continues to be a problem throughout Vilas county. What this is doing is jeopardizing trail easements & will cause trail section closures. Please once again stay on marked trails.
Catfish & Eagle Lake trails are marked with orange reflective barrels. Please stay by the barrels to be safe. The lakes are marked by the businesses on the lake so stop in & thank them when you’re out riding.
Iron, Oneida & the northern part of Forest that surround Vilas along with all Michigan trail are OPEN.
KEEP THINKING COLD & DOIN’ THE SNOW DANCE!
News and Reports:
UPDATE – Sno-Eagles Wednesday & Thursday rides start has been cancelled for now.
Will resume when there is more SNOW
Be sure to contact Club President, Howard Wolf at 262.442.4876 for more information as to when rides start
- February 9-11 – Mid Week Overnight ride to White Pine, MI – Contact Carol Radloff 715.479.5153 for details
- February 18 – General membership meeting via Sno-Eagles Facebook live.
- February 20-21 – USSA World Series of Snowmobiling Race – WCDC Track – Hwy 45N – Volunteers needed
- February 26-27 – UTV Arctic Derby Dash – Volunteers needed
- February 27 – Groom to Ride raffle drawing – 1pm – Trackside – Hwy 45N
To volunteer or for more information on Sno-Eagles activities contact Howard Wolf at 262.442.487
Wisconsin Snowmobile Registration
Discount Trail Pass for Snowmobile Club Members – $10 – Time to join a club!
Standard Wisconsin Trail Pass – $30
Out of State Trail Pass – $50
Newly Updated Vilas County Map It Trail App GPS style app of all trails in Vilas Cty. Plus includes the brown 3 digit (pictured on the right) emergency numbering system. If an emergency happens call 911 & give them that number. Find you quicker.
Newly Updated Groomer Tracking Systems (GTS) Gives you trails groomed in last 24, 48 & 96 hours
AWSC – Association of Wisconsin Snowmobile Clubs
DNR Snowmobiling Helpful Information