Trail Conditions: Early Season
Snow Cover: Hard base with most areas. Could use more snow
Date of Report: January 3, 2018
ALL SNOWMOBILE TRAILS ARE OPEN
EARLY RIDING CONDITION
Fresh Snow Needed
We have a heat wave in Eagle River! High of 7 today! Some scattered snow off & on today. Thin covering. Best shot for measurable snow is Saturday night. Stay tuned for totals.
As for the trails they are in Early Riding Condition and really need new fresh snow so the groomers can do their magic.
Last 3 groomers were out grooming trails west, north & northeast. 70W, 13S, 7/Kathan Inn to the turn around where trails meet St. Germain trails. 10N & 17N to the connect with Phelps trails. 10W, 13N, 7S heading northwest to where trails meet Sayner & Conover trails.
Here are some tips from the Trail Boss:
- On the Sno-Eagles Trail Map what was Alt13 or 13a is now Trail 3. That is it’s new number. This is the trail heading south to Three Lakes
- On Trail 1N there is logging in the section between the Town of Washington Town Hall & Eagle Lake Trail
- 10W/13N aka Wisconsin River Trail while it is groomed it is still rough & even icy in spots. Slow down in there
- 3N aka Manske Swamp is also groomed but rough so slow down there too.
Catfish Lake Loop & Eagle Lake Trails are now both marked and officially open. Please stay by the barrels to be safe. Reminder the Catfish Lake Loop to Lumpy’s is NO LONGER a trail.
Cold weather riding tips:
- Dress in layers.
- Warm gloves & have an extra pair with you. Granular hand warmers or maybe even battery operated gloves.
- Fully charged phone. Tuck into on the inside pockets of your jacket next to your body. Easy to reach & it will stay charged longer.
- Good cold weather boots. Rating of 30 below or more.
- Take a map with you.
- Tell someone where you are riding & the time you expect to be back.
- Stop more often for warm drinks & food. You burn energy when you ride.
- Watch for the 3 digit brown emergency signs along the trails. Particularly at intersections. These are connected into the Vilas County Sheriff’s Dept. system. Will help locate you if you have an emergency
- Consider downloading the Vilas County Map It App. The link is at the end of this report.
Keep Dancin! The trails really need more SNOW!
See ya on the trails!
PROUD GROOMERS OF THE SNOWMOBILE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD® – Eagle River
Phone Trail Updates 715.479.5185
Sno-Eagles Snowmobile Club
News and Reports:
January – Every Wednesday & Thursday – Sno-Eagles Guided Trail Ride. Meet at the Historic Railroad Depot on Trail 13 in town at 9am. All are welcome. First Ride is today at 9am! Hope to see you there!
- 9 – Board of Directors Meeting – International Snowmobile Hall of Fame
- 12-14 – Vintage Snowmobile Races at the Derby Track
- 18 – Member meeting – Eagle River Inn
- 18-21 – World Championship Snowmobile Derby
- 27 – Saturday Night Out – Nutty Squirrel
- 1/31-2/2 – Week Day Ride-Away
The 2018 Sno-Eagles Club Member snowmobile trip is planned for Wed., Jan. 31 to Fri. Feb. 2. (with a possible extension to Montreal, WI on Fri., Sat. and Sun. if there is interest). We are re-scheduling the trip that was melted out last year. Destination: Konteka Black Bear Resort, White Pine, MI. This is a small resort with a bar & bowling alley. It’s about a 100 mile ride from Eagle River. Mark your calendars now for this fun event. This is a 3 day snowmobile ride (or drive) to a destination for fun, friendship, and lots of silliness with fellow Sno-Eagles members. Event Chairs, Marv & Carol Radloff have reserved all of the rooms at the Resort for SnoEagles. Call 906-885-5170 to reserve your room. Do it soon before all the rooms have been spoken for. The final date to reserve under the room block is January 6, 2018. After that you are at the whim of other sledders. WHEN THEY’RE GONE – THEY’RE GONE. Call Carol at 715-479-5153 for more details.
Handy Snowmobile Links
Wisconsin Snowmobile Registration