Trail Conditions: Fair
Snow Cover: 24
Date of Report: March 9, 2020
Western U P Snowmobile Trail Report— 3/09/2020
For the next 10 days our temps will be in the 30’s and 40’s with the exception of Friday the 13th the high will be 29 and Saturday the 14th will be a high of 30. We have a slight chance of rain the next 10 days.
We still have snow in the woods but our towns are pretty bare. So if you plan to ride it is advised to trailer to Wakefield and ride from there.
Gogebic Range Trail Authority – Snowmobile & ORV Club Trail Report
- Trail Condition: See Report Below
- Last Groomed: March 07th, 2020
- Base Snowfall: 24″
- Reported On: March 09th, 2020 @ 9:33am
Monday 3/9/2020 9:00 am CST Overall Story: Spring Conditions, poor to good
We had 50+ for two full days. We had a lot of traffic Saturday, but trails held up pretty well. Once things refreeze we won’t have much to groom within/near towns. Out in the woods the trails are pretty dang good yet, but at this time we don’t foresee grooming until new snows come. With that, the crew has taken one groomer down and installed our brusher to get out and hit wet areas before trails totally compromise. We are seeing substantial pooling of water on trails as well as some water holes opening back up. If you want to ride, trailer to Wakefield and head out via the lake. Town road routes are bare.
WARNINGS AND NOTICES: We are begging riders to ride off trail legally as there are 1-million acres of public land east of Wakefield to off trail ride on – please only ride legal areas! The Ottawa National Forest is 990,000 acres and much of it open to cross-country riding (no trail/road) if there is 6″ or more of snow. Several restricted areas, contact the forest for further information. CLICK THIS LINK FOR MAPS, scroll down to motor vehicle use maps.
Trail 2 from Hurley to Ramsay US-2 Crossing:
Overall rating: Fair
Last groomed 3/7/2020. Please do not ride on sidewalks near Holiday and try to keep noise down in town.
Trail 2 from Ramsay Crossing to Wakefield:
Overall rating: Fair to Poor
Last groomed 3/7/2020. This is a tight trail with tremendous amounts of traffic. Corners will get icy along with the hill climbs in between grooming. Snow finding operations went very well this week and the trail is once again in good to very good shape. This trail features a brand new section to enjoy this season, the club eliminated Prospect road route and moved the trail completely into the woods eliminating 1.5 miles of road route. PLEASE STAY ON THE TRAIL AND RESPECT THESE LANDOWNERS!
Trail 2 from Wakefield to Marenisco:
Overall Rating: Fair
Last groomed 3/6/2020. Also in the best shape of the season. The section from Wakefield east to Highway 2 needs additional passes to finish cutting the deep inside corner bumps and widen the trail. We expect to get to that this week yet.
Trail 8 from Wakefield to Tula Crossing:
Overall Rating: Fair **SEE NOTE
Last Groomed 3/6/2020. The ditch trail on Gogebic Area Grooming’s side has had the water holes open up. Ride with extreme caution in north-side ditch!
Trail 160 from Walmart to Montreal River (WI):
Overall Rating: Fair
Last Groomed 3/6/2020. There is logging about 1/2 way north on the trail, YIELD TO LOGGERS AND GIVE THEM RESPECT – IT’S THEIR LAND! STAY ON THE TRAIL!!!!!! This is our most scenic trail and is a treat to ride! Stay on the trail in the farm fields. Over 25 landowners are involved to make this trail a reality, please respect them and ride responsibly. There are several scenic vistas on the trail:
Bald Mountain “NORTH” lookout viewing Madeline Island/ mouth of the Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior
Bald Mountain “SOUTH” lookout viewing Gogebic Range (Powderhorn, Copper Peak)
11S (Wakefield, MI to Winchester, WI):
Overall Rating: EXCELLENT
Last Groomed 3/6/2020. Increased logging traffic is in the area for only 1/4 mile, PLEASE YIELD TO ANY AND ALL LOGGING TRAFFIC. There is a short section of dual use the landowner (Keweenaw Land) has graciously approved us to use along with them. It is private land and we are guests, please act like it.
11N (Wakefield, MI to South boundary Rd/White Pine): Closed due to off trail riding. Seeking local community support with ideas on how to reopen it. 200 yards of private property closed this 25 mile trail.
Gogebic Area Groomers Report 3/03/2020
- Trail Condition: Good
- Last Groomed: February 18th, 2020
- Base Snowfall: 36+”
- Reported On: March 03rd, 2020 @ 10:14am
March 2, 2020
Conditions in the Lake Gogebic Area remain good on the North end and fair to good on the South end of the Lake to the Wisconsin border. It’s currently 28 degrees and snowing and we’re forecasted for more snow this week. Snowfall this year is in excess of 140” and our trails still have a great base. Groomers will be out nightly when temps are below freezing. Riders are reporting good conditions and recommend to just ride early and plan your stop accordingly. Mother Nature is not done with this season just yet and you know what they say when March comes in like a lamb….
- Trail # 1N: from Bergland to White Pine is being groomed nightly and reported to be in good condition.
- Trail # 1 South: Towards Marenisco from Trail # 8 (Ethelwood Grade) is being groomed nightly and is reported to be in good condition.
- Trail # 1 south from Marenisco to Wisconsin Border is getting thin and reported to be in fair condition.
- Trail # 8 East from Bergland to Ewen is being groomed daily and it is reported in good condition.
- Trail # 8W: from Bergland to Wakefield. is being groomed nightly and it is reported to be in good condition.
- Trail 102 from Bergland to Trail #11 is being groomed nightly and it is reported to be in good condition.
- Trail # 13 North from Bergland to 101 is being groomed nightly and it is being reported to be in good condition. There is about 1 mile of logging going on and this trail always gets a lot of traffic.
- Trail 13 South is open, being groomed nightly and reported to be in good to Good condition.
- Trail #13 South from 100 to Trail # 2 is reported to be groomed daily and is in good to fair condition.
- Trail # 100 South end of Lake Gogebic is reported be groomed daily and is in good to Good condition.
Please stay on the trails, respect private property, do not drink and drive, and above all else, drive safely.
U.P. Thunder Riders Trail Report 3/6/2020
- Trail Condition: Fair
- Last Groomed: March 03rd, 2020
- Base Snowfall: 20″
- Reported On: March 03rd, 2020 @ 6:53pm
Groomers were out on the trails March 2 and won’t be out again until we receive more snow. We do have an approaching snow storm headed our way and we’ve seen from guesstimate of 3-8inches so we’ll wait and see
Trails are fair to poor. Road areas are now thin, icy and bare. Gas stations are bare too
Trail #2 east of Watersmeet to Trail #107, fair/poor icy
Trail #2 west of Watersmeet to Trail #1 south fair/poor and icy
Trail #3 from the Wisconsin border to Watersmeet is OK, Watersmeet to Paulding fair with icy corners.
Trail #13 south to Cisco Chain, fair with icy corners